Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo

I love to celebrate holidays with food. For some of the little ones like Cinco de Mayo, a mexican themed dinner is more than sufficient/just about all I can handle doing. Since we had a great meal tonight, I thought I'd share our most awesome secret for the ultimate tacos: homemade tortillas. 
These babies are so easy (they are made from a mix) and will spoil you to the point of never eating store bought tortillas again. 
Just add some water to the mix in a bread machine or with a dough hook on a Kitchen Aid. (The mix is from Wal-mart: Great Value brand)
After letting it rest for 10-15 minutes cut it into small pieces.
Next we use our tortilla maker to smash and cook but really it would be pretty fast to roll them out and cook in a frying pan. The dough is super smooth and cooks in seconds.
Voila! The best part of your meal is ready. I served them tonight as fish tacos with a mango salsa. My recipes for those are HERE.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That looks very tasty. I'll definitely have to try that mango salsa sometime. Yum!

Stacey said...

after you and rob brought your tortilla maker to the reunion, oh like 3 years ago, mason wanted one. it took me forever to find one, but i got it for him for his birthday last year. we love it! he makes tortillas all the time! so fun!

Krishele said...

Looks incredible! I should have you come over and cook for us sometime. Your meals sound amazing.

JMF said...

Kim- What a brilliant idea. The home made tortillas and the pendents with names on them. I have been thinking about how to incorporate names. My other thought was to make those cute dangly things you and bre made. But put footballs, cougars, maybe BYU or something dangling down from the ceiling. Hmmmm.... Keep thinking for me!